The quest to find the best burgers in London



A very tall order some might say, but not Pippa. A great fan of burgers and a great foodie alike, we set about to find the BEST (yeah strong word, but true) burgers in London.


I opened a card on my birthday to see one of of the best 22nd birthday presents a girl could ask for. No it wasn't a Chanel bag, it was a simple promise that she'd treat me to lunch and it be one of the best burgers in town. Our plan was genius, it was not only an excuse to meet up in the summer but a chance to enjoy our shared passion of good food and fine restaurants.

And we certainly found it, and so easily too.

This post is all about the places I've already eaten, and rate, and the long list of ones I've yet to try, yikes.

Best Overall Burger


Patty and Bun, James Street, W1

A nostalgic feel about the place, shunted into a small unit on a happening street in Marylebone is where you'' find this rough diamond. Fiercely popular, the burger joint opens at midday but has people queuing up for a table from 11am onwards. If you get there after it opens, you have to check in and go on the waiting list, but boy is it worth it. Why else do you think people trudge there from all over London to this tiny, packed in, urban burger place. The staff are incredible at what they do. They always manage to get you in, and on a table, within a short wait. A touch of good crowd control and a resilience to the constant busyness and they got it covered. These guys work hard for you, the customer, to be able to enjoy the chef's piece de resistance. 

The experience is already modest, rustic and all about the good food, and we haven't even got to to the food yet.
Both times I've been my phone has died, so I haven't been able to get pictures myself but it's inexplicably good. Easily one of the best burgers I've had.
Once I'd popped my Patty and Bun burg-inity I was hooked. A couple of months later I was back, dragging my boyfriend with me this time. He wasn't exactly kicking and screaming or under duress or anything like that but I was like YOU JUST HAVE TO TRY IT. And that was it for him, too. Two mouthfuls in and all conversation had stopped. We just munched through our burgers without even breathing or uttering a single syllable. It was as if we inhaled it, I mean it was that good. I didn't stop to wipe the (good type) flavourful grease that was oozing from my Smokey P&B mayo. Like I said it's not all about appearances and fancy decor, this place was all about the FOOD. My kinda place. The beef they use in their burgers is so good too, you can taste the quality. They ask you how you like yours done and I go for medium, and it always cooked to perfection. I can't stop raving enough how good this place is.
You can also find it in East London too! Liverpool Street hosts the venue for their other side of the river action.
Oh silly me, I haven't even mentioned the deal closer have I? It does take-away! I know, they are God. That is all.



Photo credit: londonist.com

Best Pulled Pork Burger


Haché, Fulham Road, Chelsea, SW10


Don't be fooled by it's meek and milk, almost princess-like appearance. This place has teamed up great food, mean burgers and great customer service to give the ultimate experience, for a very reasonable price, in the heart of Chelsea. One of the most expensive areas in London this postcode sees the likes of Harrods, Maison Blonc, Burberry and other designer shops and fine dining. Yet a few doors down from the Sainsbury's and MB, you have Haché. I've been coming here for years because it's home to the best, sweetest, biggest pulled pork burger. For only £9.95 your burger comes with a gorgeous home slaw as well. I'd say that's pretty darn good going for Chelsea, wouldn't you? Food for under a tenner!
I'd sometimes go two nights in a row if we couldn't be bothered to cook and it's never once disappointed in all those years. The recipe is always spot on and the sweet barbecue taste goes so perfectly with a brioche bun. This has been my ultimate weakness for so long, I'd go like once a week if I could and you wouldn't expect it to be a chain. It feels individual and homely as if it was a private family run restaurant. But the Hache family is growing with new spots popping up all over, Balham, Shoreditch and Clapham. They have five stars from TimeOut and the Evening Standard among others.
They don't just stop at burgers either. Their deserts are to die for. The banoffee pie is a personal favourite of mine.

Here's a section of my own photos:


 In the summer it's gorgeous because the huge windows open up so half the front of the restaurant is open with fresh air flooding the rest of it. The Fulham Road is such a beautiful main road as well as far as busy roads go and it's so nice to sit outside or in the window watching the world go by.





The salad is this picture is also incredible FYI.


Here are some photos of me from different times I've been recently. Yes, I do cock my head to the side a lot.



Places on my list yet to try:


Five Guys

Shake Shack

MeatMarket

Meat Liqour



Blog posts on these coming very soon!




No comments