Confessions of a blogaholic | Early years edition

Thank you to my wonderful best friend Charlotte and twentysomethingxo.com for the nomination.

I'm not entirely sure how well this is going to go down, but here goes...


Charlotte texted me late Friday night with a great idea of hers, we were going to team up and doing a funny blog about all the weird and silly (somewhat questionable as well) antics we got up to when we were little. I must say, I had a lot to live up to after reading hers. So if you haven't already checked it out, do!


1. I called my priest, DADDY!

I'm Catholic and grew up in West London attending Our Lady's church in St. John's Wood regularly. My mum used to volunteer to help clean the church and one day when I was little and mum couldn't get child care for me I went with her...only to cause havoc. Not knowing what I was doing and surrounded by Nuns might I add, I screamed "DADDY" and ran towards the Priest that Christened me with my arms up for an embrace. My mum was horrified and the local nuns were mortified. They thought the Priest had been secretly having it off with my mum - golden!


2. I swore I saw Father Christmas


I have a very vivid memory from when I was younger of seeing Father Christmas, one Christmas Eve putting presents under my tree. I remember waking up from a noise, and scooting down to the bottom of my bed to see what was going on. I must have been around 4. My door was open and you could see straight down the hallway to my living room where the tree was. That's when I saw him! I remember his huge bum and tum and he was wearing a red suit! I don't remember after that I guess I woke up or "went back to sleep" but that's the time I saw Santa.

3. I named my first hamster Boy Sarah


My first hamster was amazing, I was in awe. I never been able to play with such a thing and my love for Hamsters since then has only grown. I named Sarah after my sister as the vet told us she was a girl but it wasn't until a way down the line we notice she had rather large balls and so we had to call her boy Sarah instead. To this day my poor hammy is referred to as Boy Sarah. Kinda memorable don't ya think?

4. My mum once left me in Sainsbury's


I'm naughty at the best of times but when I was younger I was a little angel. The perfect daughter. Anyway, one normal day out shopping in my pram with my mum when she paid for her shopping and left, WITHOUT ME. I was distraught and mum was none the wiser, until she came back nearly half an hour later realising she had forgotten something, ME. Clearly I have forgettable face, cry cry.

5. Ear piercing disaster


When I was about 5 years old, my mum took me to have my ears pierced. What a mistake that turned out to be, I screamed the whole of the first floor of Selfridges down. I was inconsolable with only one done so mum took me upstairs and bribed me with lots of designer clothes. Happy I skipped downstairs ready to have the other one done. As soon as she touched my ear the whole of the floor radiated with shrill screams and I refused to let me touch the other one. In the end she had to take the first one out and I left with one very sore ear and no pierced ears. I finally had them done in a very modest H. M. Samuel in Kilburn, when I was eight with my mum's friend Lena, my mum and Chanel and Ben, Lena's children. I promise you I wasn't a diva with only designers on my mind *ahem.

6. What's sex mummy?

Six years of age is when I first asked about sex. Everyone has one of these stories don't they? Well, I was watching a program like Casualty with mum when it cropped up. I asked my mum what is sex? And she replied "I'm still waiting to find out Kate". What a bloody liar hey? I pretty sure she's not Virgin Mary and I wasn't an immaculate conception. Just saying mum.

7. I say goodnight to my grandparents in the sky

This is not a funny one, it's more a sentimental one. A few people I've spoken to, do it too. When I was little (a bit like in the Lion King) my mum raised me telling me the stars in the night sky, were our loved ones who had passed, looking down on us. I never met either sets of my grandparents and that's something that's always made me a little bit sad so every night I used to say; good night Grandpa Marko, good night Grandma Kate and so on. And then I have to go through again and say Rest In Peace Grandpa Marko etc.


8. Henley Regatta, don't you know

Henley Regatta, a grand annual event in the rowing world is a positively tremendous event in anyone's formal event calendar, darling. My mum used to take me to all sorts of grown up events because I was an excellently behaved child and I was her best friend, she loved taking me as her date to things. One year my mum also took a bank manager, don't ask me why she just did. Two young handsome men came up to our table to chat up my mum and her bank manager up. They asked if my mum's bank manager was my baby sitter and I curtly said "don't be silly! She's my mummy's bank manager". I was a smart cookie.

9. Mummy is Mr. McDonald pregnant?


My head teacher in Primary School was rather large like pretty much had the biggest belly I've ever seen, I'm sorry but it was outrageous. It used to confuse me so much I disliked it, I didn't think it was normal. I genuinely, hand on heart used to think and ask my mum on a regular basis if my head teacher Mr. McDonald was pregnant regardless of the fact he was a man. It pure and simple stumped me.

Anyone from St. Joseph's RC Primary School in Maida Vale, W9, in the 90s will know!


That's enough of me for one day, I'm quite a lot to handle. That was really fun to think about and to write so thank you Char! I nominate my fellow classmate Pippa Moyle over on pippasays.com.

Look forward to hearing what cheeky nonsense you got up to girl!

2 comments